As part of its policies to promote accountability and prevent corruption, PIUMA is making available to the public its independent auditor's statement about its 2007 financial records.
INDEPENDENT AUDITOR'S REPORT
TO THE MEMBERS OF PIMA UISHI KWA MATUMAINI (PIUMA)
I have examined the appended financial statements made up the balance sheet, receipts and expenditure and cash flow as well as the related accounting records of M/s PIMA UISHI KWA MATUMAINI (PIUMA), a local registered non-governmental organisation resident in Makete district for the year ended December 31, 2007.
OBJECTIVE AND SCOPE.
My examination was conducted in accordance with acceptable auditing standards for small organizations and accordingly I applied audit procedures that were relevant by examining the accounting records and books on a test check basis as I considered necessary under the circumstances.
The purpose of the examination was to form an opinion whether, taken as a whole the financial statements examined portray a true view of the affairs of the organisation for the year under review. I did not conduct the audit with the purpose of establishing the adequacy or inadequacy of the system of internal control nor with intention to discover any accounting mistakes or fraudulent errors.
ACCOUNTABILITY FOR REPRESENTATIONS.
The responsibility for the representations of the financial statements is that of the management of PIUMA and its Executive Committee which is mandated to manage all financial affairs of the organisation in accordance with the Constitution of the organisation.
1. The financial statements and related records examined are in agreement with the books maintained and that sufficient explanations were provided to support the transactions sampled for examination.
2. The financial statements of this first year of operation have been prepared in compliance with the generally accepted accounting principles.
3. All the money received from donors and other sources was properly supported by relevant official receipts.
4. On the basis of the audit sample examined, I was made to conclude that taken as whole all payments were adequately documented and duly accounted for.
5. Physical verification of the fixed assets was done to evidence their existence. It was reported that a digital camera whose value was not readily established was stolen during the year.
6. The Piuma trustee bank account maintained in Daressalaam by Pima Associates, Accountants & Auditors was scrutinised with regard to transfers received from donors and the approved reimbursements paid to Piuma. I was satisfied that all the transactions were properly documented and an elaborate cash book maintained to record the receipts, withdrawals and payments.
In my opinion the appended financial statements of M/s PIMA UISHI KWA MATUMAINI (PIUMA) drawn as at December 31, 2007 present fairly a true view of the financial position and cash flow as at that date.
Valerian R. Kaijage, FCPA (158)
FELLOW CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT
February 22, 2008
UDSM, P.O. Box 35091